The Clay Bead Making Process

First I locate authentic pottery, rock carvings, and petroglyphs, Then, I sketch and lay out the colors of the design on a piece of white paper.  I love my Berol Prismacolor colored pencils.  Then I match the clay colors, planning to blend Fimo (a hard clay) with Sculpey (a soft clay), and other polymer clays, in a food processor which I set aside to use only for clay blending.  The pea sized pieces are then kneaded to a workable texture.
Next, I usually start by building the "face" of the piece.  This is really a sculpting process.  It's okay to have "seams" because they will blend when I roll down the clay.  This face is about 2 inches high and 3 inches wide.  After I have the face, I add the other parts of the shape and begin to integrate the background colors.
After the sculpting part is done, the clay is gently pressed and stretched into a "log" or "cane."  From there the beads are cut.
Bake for 30 minutes at 260º in the oven on a piece of sturdy cardboard.
 
Here are other finished clay beads next to the initial design.